Climate Indices File from Agroecological Resource Areas (ARA) Database
The data in this file were derived from the 1951-80 climate normals provided by the Atmospheric Environment Service (AES). AES station data were adjusted using a combination of Thiessen polygon routines and expert knowledge to provide one value per ARA. Potential evapotranspiration values were derived from daily temperature normals interpolated from monthly values using Baier and Robertson (1965) formula 1.
Reference: Bootsma and Boisvert (1991).
One record per ARA.
|Item Name||Description||Reporting Units|
|JANPE||January Potential Evapotranspiration||mm|
|FEBPE||February Potential Evapotranspiration||mm|
|MARPE||March Potential Evapotranspiration||mm|
|APRPE||April Potential Evapotranspiration||mm|
|MAYPE||May Potential Evapotranspiration||mm|
|JUNPE||June Potential Evapotranspiration||mm|
|JULPE||July Potential Evapotranspiration||mm|
|AUGPE||August Potential Evapotranspiration||mm|
|SEPPE||September Potential Evapotranspiration||mm|
|OCTPE||October Potential Evapotranspiration||mm|
|NOVPE||November Potential Evapotranspiration||mm|
|DECPE||December Potential Evapotranspiration||mm|
N.B. The following are based on mean daily air temperature, interpolated from monthly normal values using Brooks (1943) sine wave interpolation. All values are rounded to the nearest whole unit.
|GDD>5C||Growing Degree Days > 5 degrees C
- accumulated from 10 days after mean daily temp. > 5 degrees C or Apr. 1, whichever is later, to date of mean temp. min. <= 5 degrees C or Oct 31, whichever is earlier
|YRGDD>5C||Seasonal Growing Degree Days > 5 degrees.
- accumulated from date mean daily temp. > 5 degrees C in spring (GSS) to date mean temp. < 5 degrees C in fall(GSE)
|GSS||Growing Season Start (Julian day #)
- date mean daily air temp. >= 5 degrees C in spring
|GSE||Growing Season End (Julian day #)
- date mean daily air temp. <= 5 degrees C in fall
|GDD>15C||Growing Degree Days > 15 degrees C
- accumulated from time mean temp. > 15 degrees C in spring to time mean temp. < 15 degrees C in fall
|ACCCHU1||Accumulated Corn Heat Units (CHUE1)
- CHU for silage corn; from CHUS to CHUE1
|ACCCHU2||Accumulated Corn Heat Units (CHUE2)
- CHU for grain corn from CHUS to CHUE2
|CHUS||Start date for CHU accumulation (Julian day #)
- Date when CHU accumulation starts as determined by when mean temp. >= 9 degrees C (estimated seeding date)
|CHUE1|| End Date for ACCCHU1 (Julian day #)
- Day when CHU accumulation for silage corn ends; date mean minimum temp. <= 5 degrees C (estimated average date of first fall frost)
|CHUE2||End Date for ACCCHU 2 (Julian day #)
- Day when CHU accumulation for grain corn ends; date mean minimum temp. <= 3.6 degrees C (first estimated average date of occurrence of -2 degrees C)
|TTLPTU||Total Photo-thermal Units
- as calculated in Bootsma and Boisvert (1991)
- Date Modified: